30 March 2015

The Day Before





Dear Jude,

The day before you became a big brother was a Thursday. We woke up that morning just like we do every morning - with you coming into my room asking me if Daddy is home. Of course he was already at work so we continued downstairs for "dinner" after I got some pants on and brushed my teeth. We ate and watched a show and then retired to my bed for yet another show and a "regular" milk so I could take a shower. I took a nice hot shower, which made my 40 week pregnant body even more puffy but I didn't care. So what if I couldn't bend my fingers afterwards, at least it was relaxing. As I was getting ready I kept checking on you and you didn't even spill your milk! It must have been an omen that today was going to be a good and special day. 

Once we were both ready we played and played downstairs. You wanted to get all the pillows and put them at the bottom of the stairs and jump off the third step up, because that is the highest I'll let you go. We collected pillows from wide and far and then you jumped and jumped, each time checking with me that you were on the right step... "is this the one Mommy?". After the jumping we played the "cover Jude in pillows and try to go to sleep" game. I'd cover you up and then try to lay down on my pillow bed but it would always start giggling and jiggling. Then you'd pop up and laugh and laugh, asking to do it again. So we did. I'm not gonna lie, I took a few selfies too, because my hair looked good, and then I realized it was time for my Midwife appointment. 

You burned through a couple snacks on the car ride there and then through a couple lollipops once inside. They took my vitals and then you asked if I needed to go pee pee in a cup again, and yes, I did. You always think that's funny... probably because it is. Then we got to hear your sister's heart go "ba-boom, ba-boom" and you patiently watched a show while my Midwife put her hands all up in places that aren't too comfortable to have hands in. Oh well. 

On the way home you recognized The Mall and asked if we could stop at the park just in front of it. We still had some time before "dinner" so I said yes as we turned right. Of course I took the wrong exit so we had to circle around the whole darn mall all the while you were asking me "mommy, why we go this way? did you make a wrong turn?" Ha ha, I did, but we got there. You ran and ran and climbed and slid. Besides having to stop to change a poopie diaper on a park bench mid play, you had a great time. I let you stay longer than usual because there was just something about this Thursday that I knew was a little different, a little special. 

Dad was working form home that afternoon and I wanted a burger so bad I could taste it, and you wanted french fries and water. A quick call to Dan to let him know I was brining home 5 Guys for lunch and we were set, fries and burgers it was! We ordered it to go which you were not happy about. French fries and water should be eaten AT 5 Guys, not at home. You cried all the way home because I wouldn't let you eat where you wanted. I mean, kid, I can only do so much. Once you saw your Daddy at home you perked right up though and joined us for some "dinner" followed by a much needed nap. 

The thing about Dad working from home is that I actually need to get you out of the house because you cannot leave the guy alone, which I understand. When you woke up we went for a nice long walk and you were actually really excited to sit in the stroller the whole way there and back. We stopped at Starbucks for a cookie and some water (I know, I know.. lollipops and cookies.... it was a special day, okay?) and you were a perfect gentleman, climbing behind the arm chairs and trying to have sword fights with stir sticks. On guard indeed! Again you let me push you all the way home and I started having little baby contractions. 

That evening was pretty normal, "dinner" (again ;) ), a bath, play time, stories. The whole time I was having little baby contractions but I was still able to be present and have a good time with my favorite Jude Boy, so I did. After we put you to bed I started timing my contractions around 9pm. They were nothing terrible and completely bearable so I waited a couple of hours before I called The Midwife. Once we decided tonight was the night, I text my sister friend and told her you'd be over soon. It was a real treat to leave the house that night experiencing only mild contractions so we could get everything ready without having to panic. I held you in my arms in the living room, stood still, and cried. It was the last time we would leave the house as a family of 3 and to be truthful I was all torn up over it. 

For 3 years Jude, you have been my whole world and it has been the greatest pleasure I've ever known. Our last day together of just us was so so so special, I'll never forget it. 

xoxo,

Mommy







1 woot-woots!:

Dave and Rashelle said...

So beautiful Patience!! Seriously I have streaming tears. That was so sweet.